Merici College is an authorised IB World School for the Middle Years Programme and the Diploma Programme. IB World Schools share a common philosophy- a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education- that we believe is important for our students.
* Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.
Teaching in IB programmes is:
- based on inquiry
- focused on conceptual understanding
- developed in local and global contexts
- focused on effective teamwork and collaboration differentiated to meet the needs of all learners informed by assessment (formative and summative)
Teaching and learning is focussed on the IB Learner Profile
To learn more about the IB at Merici, please click here.
The IB Diploma Programme organizes teaching and learning through six subject groups, underpinned by the DP core. Students choose a course from within each subject group.
Diploma Programme Core: The extended essay (EE) requires students to engage in independent research through an in-depth study of a question relating to one of the DP subjects they are studying. Theory of knowledge (TOK) develops a coherent approach to learning that unifies the academic disciplines. In this course on critical thinking, students inquire into the nature of knowing and deepen their understanding of knowledge as a human construction.
Creativity, activity, service (CAS) emphasizes helping students to develop their own identities in accordance with the ethical principles embodied in the IB mission statement and the IB learner profile. Further details of all subject groups and subjects can be found on the IB website.
MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME
The Middle Years Programme aims to develop active learners and internationally minded young people who can empathize with others and pursue lives of purpose and meaning. The programme empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers. Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Programme examinations
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens rigorous and highly flexible framework that powerfully integrates with local educational requirements.
Do you know what the requirements are for Service and Action in the IB MYP? Merici has a fantastic service learning program that promotes authentic service experiences. This aligns well with the IB requirements for Service and Action and you can see below how the IB MYP 7 service learning outcomes align with our Christ-centred outcomes. Click here to find out more.
Please find below links to the International Baccalaureate Personal Project information, video presentation and the accompanying slide show:
Please find below links for the IB DP Parent Information Evening March 2021 and accompanying video:
Stay connected and hear more about the IB programme at Merici College with our very own podcast!
Resources from the IB organisation about this program can be found here: