Merici Digital Community
High School Agreement Years 7-9
Look After Me
- Choose online names that are suitable and respectful.
- Only invite people I actually know in the real world to be my friends in the online world.
- Only visit sites that are appropriate and respect the rules that web sites have about age. Some sites are only for adults. If I wouldn’t feel comfortable showing the web site to my parents or grandparents then it is inappropriate.
- Set my privacy settings so only the people I know can see me and my personal information.
- Only put information online that is appropriate and only post pictures that are suitable. Not everyone seeing my profile or pictures will be friendly.
- Always report anything that happens online which makes me feel uncomfortable or unhappy.
- Talk to trusted adults, like my parents and teachers, about my online experiences. This includes both the good and the bad experiences. I will always Think Twice.
Look After Others
- Show I care by not flaming (sending hurtful or inflammatory messages) other people, or forwarding messages that are unkind or inappropriate.
- Not get involved in conversations that are unkind, mean, harass or bully others.
- Report any conversations I see, hear and read that are unkind, mean or bully. Imagine if the things being written were about myself. If I would find them offensive then they are inappropriate.
- Some web sites are disrespectful because they show people behaving inappropriately or illegally—or are racist, bigoted or unkind. I will show my respect for others by avoiding these sites. If I visit one by accident, I will close it and tell my teacher or an adult.
- Show respect for other’s privacy by not trying to get into their online spaces without invitation, by not stalking them or copying their pictures. I will always Think Twice.
Look After Property
- Not steal other people’s property. It’s easy to download music, games and movies, but piracy (downloading media that you have not bought) is just the name given to stealing online.
- Not share the music, movies, games and other software that I own with other people.
- Check that the information I am using is correct. Anyone can say anything on the web, so I need to check that the
- research is correct by using reliable sites. When in doubt I will ask the librarians, teachers or my parents. I will use “turn it in” software to assist me.
- Look after other people’s web sites, acting appropriately when visiting them, not making changes or vandalizing them, and report any damage that I find. I will always Think Twice.
Please download the PDF to sign and date this form.
Merici Digital Community Senior School Agreement Years 10-12
I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate. I will consider the information and images I post online. I will not post personal information about my life, experiences, experimentation, or relationships. I will not be obscene. I will always Think Twice.
I will ensure that the information I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behaviour directed at me. I will protect passwords, accounts and resources. I will always Think Twice.
I will show respect to others. I will not use electronic mediums to flame, bully, harass, or stalk other people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of web sites. I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist, or inappropriate. I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other people’s private spaces or areas. I will always Think Twice.
I will protect others by reporting abuse, not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications, and not visiting sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist, or inappropriate. I will always Think Twice.
Respect Intellectual Property
I will respect the software and media others produce. I will ensure that I always show respect for others work by citing resources using recognised bibliographic styles as stipulated by the College. I will use “Turnitin” software provided by the College to support the integrity of my work and to combat plagiarism. I will always Think Twice.
Protect Intellectual Property
I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will use free and open source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase, license, and register all software. I will purchase my music and other media, and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses. I will act with integrity at all times. I will always Think Twice.
Please download the PDF version to sign & date this form.